[DMCForum] spring compressors (and pics!) ... was Re: Tech day at Walt's

[DMCForum] spring compressors (and pics!) ... was Re: Tech day at Walt's this Friday

Wow, that is an interesting site Andrei.  Too many cool
tools to read about.

To me, the spring compressor does not look like it would
work for the front.  I have tried a similar compressor
without success.  The problem is that the part of the frame
that surrounds the spring is chronically in the way.  There
isn't enough room to grab the spring high enough up on the
sides.  If I grab it where I can and compress, then the rest
of the spring elongates to compensate -- really damn
frustrating.

I tried the compressor that Martin likes on the rear
springs.  It worked, but I wouldn't use that compressor
there again.  I couldn't get the halves 180 degrees apart
and still grab the spring high enough to compress well.  One
of them spun around, kissed the other and made quite a
hassle to get apart.  I had a ratchety box end wrench on
there that only works one direction.  Since the end of the
compressor was touching the spring, this trapped it on
there.  I got it apart by that pole contraption you saw in
my yard.  I put the spring over the poll and stacked barbell
weights on it.

Here are a few pics of the fiasco:

This pic shows the top of the compressor hitting the frame
on both sides:
http://www.DMCForum.org/images/technical/Walt_spring1.jpg

This pic shows what happens when the compressor slips:
http://www.DMCForum.org/images/technical/Walt_spring2.jpg

So I got clever (or more stupid as the case may be) and
compressed the spring in the manner which seemed the most
practical at the time:
http://www.DMCForum.org/images/technical/Walt_plays_pogo.jpg
That's about 640Kg mass including the Floridiot standing on
top.

This compressor may work fine for the front.  Meanwhile I
got the compressor that DMCH uses & recommends, so between
the two, one should work.

Walt    Tampa, Florida

click here