[DMCForum] Re: The Mask (More ignition analysis)

[DMCForum] Re: The Mask (More ignition analysis)

I have found this entire thread very interesting!  Interesting in
that I have had a similar problem with the poor acceleration then
jerking kick off.  The twist is that instead of jerking when the car
is running warm, mine jerks when it is cold and it is the first run
of the day.  It seems to be tempermental and only do it sometimes.
I bring this up becasue I have a stock...everything... then only
thing I did at one point was replace the fuel pump which broke and
now I'm running the old one again.  Still, that never changed the
acceleration problem.  Just for reference, I too have a tempermental
warm start probelm (it's been behaving pretty well lately though)

With the same problem but at running a cold engine - does this help
your diagnostics at all?

Brian
11280

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> Ok, figure this one out:
>
> With the wife and kids out of town, I've had nothing but 2
glorious
> days of peace to ponder this issue. I've been feeling the behavior
of
> the car while driving to and from work. Something keeps drawing me
> back to timing advance; Too much, too little, too fast (missing
> weights or springs), too slow (gummed up inside)...not sure which.
>
> I came home today and whipped out my shiny timing light and began
> examine the vacuum advance in detail. If I'm doing it right, it
only
> seems to do 2 steps of advance, and too much of it but again, I
want
> someone to read the tach while I do this. Maybe I'm not gentle
enough.

> 1100-ish RPM's: 10 OR 20 degrees. (I was trying to get off of the
> micro switch.)
> 1500-ish RPM's: off the scale, say around 40 degrees. The manual
> calls for: 20 degrees at 15" Hg, incrementing in 3 steps, not two.
>
> I then proceeded to take some of Martin's G's advice and try to
clean
> out the dizzy again in case something was gummed up. I sprayed a
> little contact cleaner in the distributor because I've seen it eat
> varnish and gunk off of electrical items so well. This was an -
> instant- improvement, but still at about 1/2 to 3/4 of pedal
travel
> there was bogging now combined with "herk 'n jerk". When I feather
> the throttle, it now has much better acceleration than it did
before
> I sprayed the cleaner in the dizzy, as long as I don't exceed
> that "bog point" with the throttle pedal. (BTW: the "bog point"
moves
> closer to the floor, the higher the RPM'S so you can slowly press
the
> pedal down as you accelerate)
>
> Still not satisfied, but having a suspicion, I put my old, blue
coil
> in yet again, with the old ballast resistor, and what happens?
> Flawless. Not a stutter, jerk or stumble. Full power pulling away,
> and full power with the pedal to the floor. At least it's running
> correctly now.
>
> What gives? Why doesn't my car accept any kind of coil? This is my
> 5th new one. The others were Accel and some no-name brand but this
> one is a Bosch 18k volt coil. A minor upgrade compared to the
MSD's
> and Pertronix some of you guys are running.
>
> One thing's sure: I haven't fixed this problem, only masked it.
>
> Rich A.

click here