[DMCForum] Re: Continued: Coil Packs, OBD II, and Big Brother

[DMCForum] Re: Continued: Coil Packs, OBD II, and Big Brother

Quite true. One of the main points of OBD II (Onboard Diagnostics II)
is ease of troubleshooting and to ensure compliance with Federal
emissions regulations.

OBD II which is (I believe) a Federal standard in the United States.
To tamper with it is illegal. Back to the main point though, with the
proper computer diagnostic equipment, you can test hordes of engine
parts, and even activate solenoids and valves through it. It's
supposed to make troubleshooting a snap.

Actual -replacement- of the faulty part is a whole other issue.

Bill, if you think OBD II is bad, Congress is discussing
making "black box" recorders mandatory for vehicles in the U.S. If
you get in a wreck, your vehicle data (speed, heading, braking) can
be used against you in a court of law. It would of course, be a
Federal offense to tamper or disconnect it.

The day that shit becomes law is the day I buy Julie's Gremlin X
because I'm already sick of the way gov't intrudes into my life. I'll
never buy a new vehicle with that crap in it. Especially when I can
mount all-disc brakes, an ABS computer and air-bag technology in cars
like old Mustangs, etc.

Rich A.