[DMCForum] Re: Tail-light circuit boards - thanks for the responses

[DMCForum] Re: Tail-light circuit boards - thanks for the responses

Thanks for all the responses.  Gotta love the quick replies on this
board.  I tried the soldering thing, as I have soldered many things
before (mostly wires).  But I did find that it was very difficult to
get the solder to stick to the surface of the board.  I'm no
soldering expert, and had not heard the term "flux" related to
soldering before yesterday, so I'm sure as John Hervey and others
say, there is a way to do it properly, but I had no luck with what I
was doing.  As soon as the ironing tip melted the end of my roll of
solder, a brown-ish clear-ish liquid formed on the surface of the
board.  It was very difficult to get the solder to stick to it, and
even if it did, I doubted the connection was very good with the dried
layer of brown-clear liquid between the solder and the board
surface.  In the end, I did the Radio Shack screw and nut method.
(my local RS still had them).  I tightened them down as hard as I
could, and even put a small dot of 2 part epoxy on the back of the
nut to keep it from loosening in the future.  My friend and I checked
the lights a few times today, no un-lit bulbs so far.

-Derek L
VIN 5302

P.S.  When I hear the term "flux," first thing I think of is the Flux
Capacitor.  Hahaha.

click here