[DMCForum] Re: I Stand Corrected ("Plastic" DeLoreans)

[DMCForum] Re: I Stand Corrected ("Plastic" DeLoreans)

Bill, you'd better re-check your understanding of composites. The hood
of the Fiero, as well as the rear decklid and the roof, are all
fiberglass. The rest of the panels are plastic.

Some tend to mock this, but let's put it into perspective: My Fiero
has never been dented or dinged. The panels are lightweight and easily
replacable. I slid off the road into a ditch in a Fiero when I was 17
and hit a post with the front bumper at a low rate of speed. It pushed
that particular piece of the bumper in 2 to 3 inches in the shape of
the post. By the next morning the bumper had "reformed" itself and
looked brand new again. No creases or any evident problems other than
some cracking of the paint. A little touch-up paint and it was good as
new.

The DeLorean does have more room around the engine, however. Much
easier to work on in terms of available space. And I highly prefer the
shelf behind our seats vs. my Fiero's trunk behind the engine.
Interior is much more roomy in the DeLorean.

-Ryan

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx> wrote:
> I *HALF* jokingly refer to our cars as "plastic".
>
> In the junkyard today (yes Mike, I picked you up some footwell lights
> while I was there) I had the opportunity to study a Pontiac Fiero up
> close. THAT'S a plastic car. Looked underneath to verify at least
> SOMETHING on the car is made of metal. Everything else is plastic.
> Plastic hood. Plastic doors. If you beat on the top it sounds just
> like a Rubbermaid trash can. Truly amazing.
>
> Under the hood is amazing too. It's the anti-DeLorean. Whereas things
> like brake master cylinder and A/C receiver are less than easy access
> for us, that's *ALL* there is under a Fiero hood (plus a donut spare).
> Components are removable even with a 12" extension on your socket
> wrench. Radiator lifts out from above too.
>
> Bill Robertson

click here