[DMCForum] Re: John Hervey's Fuel Tank Pickup (ATTN: John)

[DMCForum] Re: John Hervey's Fuel Tank Pickup (ATTN: John)

Slow down -- didn't you see the adjectives "ingenious" and
"brilliant"? Your design outsmarts Dunmurry (Norwich), for which you
can be justifiably proud. Near as I can tell, you were the first
person in 20 years to look straight down into the tank.

After watching Evil Dan struggle in the Smokey Shadows parking lot for
more than an hour with an original style baffle, am more convinced
than ever that vertical is the only way to go.

One of the bottom straps on my baffle broke where it is bent to attach
to the side. Metal fatigue I'm sure -- that's a very sharp 90 degree
bend in a very thin piece of aluminum. Is subjected to continual
stress as the baffle flexes up & down (as you admit, those straps do
not hold it tight against the tank bottom). When I removed the pump to
swap to my low PSI model, the baffle was sitting at an angle, with the
far edge (farthest from the mouting stud) at least an inch off the
tank bottom. Probably would help if you ran that strap ABOVE the other
one (closer to the tank top), but the baffle still flexes nonetheless.

My tuna can baffle has 1/8" holes drilled around the side walls, near
its bottom, so there's no way to trap fuel outside of it. Guesstimate
it should be good to a tank level well less than one inch.

I'm still using your pickup screen. Had you been able to get your
hands on a low PSI pump, I would have bought it from you. My engine is
full of SpecialT gaskets and seals. I had to make an additional
bracket to stabilize my otterstat pipe (with a SpecialT otterstat,
thank you very much) because the formed hose from one of the other
vendors doesn't fit as well as yours. It isn't your fault I couldn't
get my input shaft through a SpecialT clutch disc without binding, and
you kept sending them until I did. I've got SpecialT relays and
sending units. If you haven't figured out yet that you're my vendor of
choice, guess I'll just have to place another order...

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John Hervey" <john@xxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the support Bill. If you have a problem with the baffle
then why
> don't you let me know. Why would the strap brake if it was tightened
down
> and or not removed several times. Making it out of heavier material
isn't
> hard to do. But in trying to keep it in perspective to the original for
> maximum baffle it has to flex to go in the tank.
> If you have a problem with a product, then why don't you let the
source know
> so something can be done.
> John Hervey

I was
>   > > cleaning
>   > >> the tank.  The suction hose was very soft and squishy, but
>   > > everything else
>   > >> was fine.  The fuel pump boot is ok, but the cover is ripped.  I
>   would
>   > >> rather wait and buy the good stuff, but I think the tuna can will
>   > > not find
>   > >> its way into my car :)
>   > >>
>   > >>
>   > >>>> The pump had a plastic Bosch sticker on it that fell off in my
>   hand,
>   > >>>
>   > >>> The new ones come that way for applications where it is
>   > >>> mounted outside the tank with a strap.  I have heard about
>   > >>> people having those clog the fuel suction screen.  You are
>   > >>> lucky you caught it.  So are all the parts to your baffle
>   > >>> system there?
>   > >>>
>   > >>> Walt
>   > >>
>   > >>
>   > >> Can you define 'strap' without using the word 'on'?  ;)
Seriously,