Re: [DMCForum] Springs: was DeLo vs. Porsche perform

Re: [DMCForum] Springs: was DeLo vs. Porsche perform

> How is the ride with the DMCH springs and shocks? Is is harsh or
smooth?

I have the DMCH springs & shocks on the rear and a mix-mash on the front, so I can't comment too fairly until I have only one or the other brand installed.  With PJ Grady springs paired with DMCH shocks on the front, I feel like the front is too soft -- softer than it was with PJ Grady springs & shocks.  Steve Wynne says this will change when I install the DMCH springs with their shocks.  We shall see.

So far I can say that I really like the feel of DMCH rear springs with DMCH shocks.  It lowers the rear about 1/2 inch.  It is a slightly softer ride than with DMCH shocks & OEM springs.  I also think it is slightly softer than PJ Grady rear shocks & OEM springs.

> Why do you want to change the PJ Grady Springs? Do they lower the
front more than the Eibach springs?

I want to change the springs because I have several DeLoreans and I like to experiment.  I see nothing wrong with PJ Grady springs.  The ones on my car now lower it 1.5"  I also understand that PJ Grady has different size springs depending on how much you want to lower.  What I got is supposed to put the car at original spec height.  I do not know how much the DMCH front springs lower the car because I haven't tried them yet.  I have noticed, however, that changing the rear height by 1/2" greatly influences headlight aiming.

> I had originally planned on getting the PJ Grady spring and shock
kit, but DMCH has piqued my interest with their kit.

So far I prefer the DMCH setup.  There are issues with both.  I had a rear top bushing fail on the DMCH shocks.  See pic at:
http://www.DMCForum.org/images/technical/low_res_DSC_0036.jpg  You can see a chunk missing out of the side which allowed the shock shank to rub on the frame.  I installed polyurethane bushings and expect that to be a permanent fix.  See pic at:
http://www.DMCForum.org/images/technical/low_res_DSC_0041.jpg
center is an unmodified bushing.  left is my first attempt at cutting down to OEM size.  I don't have a lathe, so I used a wood chisle in a bench vice and spun the bushing on a power drill.  Hey, it works with some practice -- see bushing at right.
I'll give the DMCH bushings the benefit of a doubt that maybe I didn't torque it properly.  But for the trouble I would do polyurethane bushings to begin with.  The PJ Grady shocks had fit issues that prevented the bushings from being properly torqued in the first place, so the shock shanks wore in the frame big time.  I assume this has been resolved by now.

If you are on a budget, I suggest the PJ Grady front springs and replacing the shocks all around.  (I am curious to hear what shock if any PJ Grady is selling and if they are like the first ones.)  If money isn't an issue then go for what DMCH sells.  Also look into what Marty is selling.  I hear that he has a 4 spring kit out.

> Hey, I also was informed you are working on a convex mirror

Yep, that's me.  Those are a real PITA to make.  I get a lot of chips & breakage when I cut the shape out.  In a few months I plan to set the tools up and make some more.  (But I was saying this a few months ago, sorry.)  It makes an enormous difference in the safety of the car to be able to SEE what is in those otherwise blind spots.  I recommend it for the drivers side too.  I think it is mainly only the US that prefers flat mirrors on the drivers side.  Here is a pic of a mirror off the car:
http://www.DMCForum.org/images/technical/mirror_2.jpg
Here is a side view pic showing a spacer I used:
http://www.DMCForum.org/images/technical/mirror_1.jpg
The problem is that the mirror sits too deep in the housing.  It's not a problem with a flat mirror, but with a convex you get tunnel-vision.  So I put a spacer under so I don't see the edges of the housing in the parameter of the mirror.  The optical quality is also a big improvement.  The mirror part is exposed on the surface, so you don't have to look thru the glass twice to see the reflection.  And most of the OEM mirrors are stained from the double sided tape on back.  My main hold up is with production time & cost.  I want to make these dirt cheap (at least under $35 each).  I have some other techniques to try that could do this.

Walt