RE: [DMCForum] Re: Continued: Dave Stragand's Cadillac

-----Original Message-----
From: content22207 [mailto:brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 11:51 AM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Re: Continued: Dave Stragand's Cadillac

> Hmmm, did I hear someone on the Forum recently bad mouth
> full size   American domestics?

I don't think that was me... Except for the D, that's all I own.

> if your frame breaks in two (excuse me Dave, are you parking the poor
> thing in the ocean?) -- what's going on under the hood? Might need to

Not in the ocean, but in Pittsburgh.  Pittsburgh has more salt than the
ocean.  The window sticker says it was undercoated and rustproofed, however,
it was not.  They drilled all the little holes and capped them with Ford
rustproofing plugs, but they failed to actually spray in any rustproofing.
Likewise, underneath has no undercoating at all.  It's a shame, because I'd
probably get at least another 100k out of it otherwise.

The frame on a Grand Marquis sits in a channel surrounded by the floorpans
and rockers.  There is no way to sufficiently weld the affected area except
for removing the body from the frame, or cutting out the rockers and the
floorpans.  These are also very rusty (see above) so this would not be a
good idea.

Other than that, the car has run perfectly and (knock on wood) continues to
do so, likely due to the excellent fuel injection system on the car.  FI
kicks butt.  =)

-Dave

click here