Re: [DMCForum] Re: Continued: Martin's HP (Jim S)

Re: [DMCForum] Re: Continued: Martin's HP (Jim S)

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 02:58:17 -0000 "content22207"
<brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> As ever, the soul of tact... (Did I say *WOMEN* 2 years into the
> workforce were overgrown *GIRLS*...).

yes.

> Stick with it -- some day you'll master this decorum thing.

what?

> Your total misunderstanding of "horsepower" shows not only a lack of
> historical knowledge, but the same gullable streak that marketers
> target.

Yes, and they are all out to get you, Bill.  Watch out here comes one!

> Follow me here: a small displacement engine produces very little
> torque. Don't blame me -- I didn't invent physics. The only way to
> marginally compensate is to spin the crankshaft at a tremendous
> speed.
> Hence your 6,000 RPM example.

Huh?  but spinning faster is what gives it more torque!  That was the way
it was designed!

> Your example engine is generating little more than noise until it
> rev's up there. And if it is unable to rev up there, it may as well
> not be running at all!

My car goes to it's redline, does yours?

> Thus, if your example engine (and a real world transmission -- not
> Martin's imaginary geared one) is attached to a 10,000 lbs load, I
> absolutely 100% guarantee one of these two outcomes will happen:
> 1) The engine will stall when the clutch engages normally
> 2) The clutch (or automatic fluid) will burn up partially engaging
> avoid stalling the engine

Right, because you need TORQUE to move 10,000lbs from standstill.
Gearing multiplies torque!

> *THAT'S* why you don't see small cars pulling large sized campers,
> UHauls, and boat trailers.
> *THAT'S* why every company that's ever tried to save fuel with
> smaller
> displacement engines in their heavy service trucks goes back to
> larger
> ones.
> *THAT'S* why small cars struggle up steep mountain grades (did
> anyone
> catch the AP translation of a story in the French press marveling
> that
> Lance Armstrong rode faster up the Alps than a [European] car can
> drive!).
> *THAT'S* why a transfer tractor producing "only" 350-400 HP can move
> more than 80,000 lbs (40 ton weight limit is government imposed, not
> physics).
>
> I can go on, but you *SHOULD* have the general idea by now.

Replace all your *THAT'S* with "TORQUE", and you are almost entirely
correct.

Unfortunately, this has (almost) nothing to do with horsepower which you
are constantly raving about!

Jim

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

click here