[DMCForum] wingless wonder, body bolts, burnt solenoids

[DMCForum] wingless wonder, body bolts, burnt solenoids

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe@xxxx>
wrote:
> Gee Greg, you could slap on some taillights & headlights and drive
> around in true Mad max style. Without the doors most people
wouldn't
> know what you are driving.

Greg,

Actually, Joe may have a point.

I'm not saying let's joy-ride down I-40 at 88 MPH, but it might be
worth a shot to see if we could get the engine fired up. Everything
is reasonably accessible now :-). It's your car, but I'm anxious to
see it going also!

> > One quick note people, check your body bolts.  We found a few
> loose bolts
> > this weekend.  That could explain some clunking.

Greg made a good point about loose body bolts. The engine brace on
my car looked like it had been rubbing the fiberglass body a bit. We
put a socket on the bolt and was able to get a full turn on it. The
bolt on the opposite side was just as loose. The other DeLorean
present also had similar problems.

Meanwhile, I have been replacing the window motors/regulators and
rewinding the door lock solenoids in my car. In case no one has ever
seen the result of sticky relays in an original DeLorean door lock
module, check out the picture I posted in #4494's album in the
Photos section.

I also posted a picture of the rewound solenoid pair. I took the
opportunity to rebuild the lock module, upgrading the resistors,
transistors, and capacitors. It now has extremely low standby
current (~600 uA).

I took it a step further and replaced the factory undersized relays
with off-board 40A relays. These should be able to better handle the
sparking associated with opening an inductive load and last the
lifetime of the car. If there ever is a problem, the relays can be
easily unplugged and replaced. Also, the purists could easily return
this modification to stock if they wished.

I am also replacing the door lock's 30 circuit breaker with a
resettable 5 amp circuit breaker to prevent solenoid "cooking" from
ever happening again.

May have been easier to buy DPNW's actuators and replaced the
solenoids, but where's the fun in that?

-Brian
VIN #4494

click here