RE: [DMCForum] Re: Child Car Seats In A DeLorean

See below:

-----Original Message-----
From: wannadelorean [mailto:mcquinlan@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 9:13 AM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Re: Child Car Seats In A DeLorean

"Jack, its great that you like your fence but what if you don't have
kids.  What if you live in a retirement community where no one has
kids.  Is it your responsibility to protect the world from yourself?"

I agree with you here wholeheartedly.  If I did not have kids, I should
not have to get a pool fence of any kind.  In fact I would never get one
if it weren't for my kids.

BTW thanks for filling me in on Fl law, it is as I supposed, the screen
counting as a fence.  My place was built in 1999 and has the screen, and
now the fence inside for the kids.  Actually for me it has opened up the
Lanai more for us to use because our little one can run around and not
get near the pool.  She is only 2 and while can swim, I still don't want
her in alone yet.

Jack

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel@xxxx>
wrote:
> One thing to remember about Florida.  I just moved here and have
an in
> ground pool and in other parts of the country I lived there was a
fence law
> requiring a fence to be put up around the pool area to protect
outside
> people, not these screens but a real honest to goodness fence.  It
seems in
> Florida there is no such law, therefore the only protection would
be the
> pool fence.  These screen enclosures we have here are just fine
for keeping
> out critters and such, but a screen door is easily opened by a
kid.  I just
> had my pool, fence installed last week and could not be happier,
in fact I
> thought it was already law down here.  Someone tell me if I am
wrong here as
> I am still new.
>
> I for one would never put my kids in the parcel shelf, I Love them
too much.

> Oh also many newer School Busses do have seat belts for the kids --
if they
> use them is unknown to me, but they are there.
>
> Jack Stiefel
> www.fmtimemachine.com
> Direct listen link: www.live365.com/stations/radiocape

How
> are you going to tie the seat down securely, and more importantly,
do
> you understand exactly what those mount points you select could do
in
> an accident? Are they going to hold? Will they buckle, pull down,
and
> break the mount points on the seat, thus sending it through the
> windshield or anywhere else in the passenger compartment?
>
> I bet any random cop in the U.S. would issue a big fat ticket for
> something like this.
>
> > How is it that you and I have to go to expense and trouble of
having
> > car seats when kids ride on a school bus (or any mass transit
for
> > that matter) every day with not even a seat belt.
>
> It's a matter of weight. Buses are huge. Big giant machines. Seat
> belts aren't required in vehicles of this size for one major
reason -
> the vast majority of accidents would scarcely affect the
passengers on
> a bus. We're talking about a vehicle weighing half a dozen tons
plus,
> colliding with a vehicle weighing a couple tons at most. Sure, the
> passengers on the bus will get bumps and bruises and may be
dislodged
> from their seats, but life threatening injuries while riding on a
bus
> are fairly uncommon.
>
> A car, on the other hand....
>
> > Car seats do save
> > lives but the reason they are required by law has more to do
with
> > political lobbying than rational thinking.  So the fact that
> > something is "illegal" doesn't immediately make it a bad idea.
>
> That's a load of BS and you know it. Most accidents would
positively
> kill a loose child. No rational person would toss an infant in the
> back seat and drive off. Requiring children to be properly secured
is
> perfectly rational thinking.
>
> > A good example of stupid laws that are meant to protect us:
Safety
> > fences around swimming pools.
>
> We aren't talking about swimming pools. But since you bring it up,
> mostly agree with you.
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

click here