Re: [DMCForum] Re: Sean who?

> I had every cooling hose replaced, water pump changed, all new
> heater hoses, complete ac service, installation of new TABs, shifter
> pivot bolt, all rubber vacuum hoses replaced, new idle speed motor
> installed, complete AC service with R-12 and a complete tune up for
> about $1,300 last year.

Thanks, Joe.  That gives me perfect perspective.  I, too, supplied all
the parts including service manuals, past service receipts and John
Hervey's phone number.  When I brought 10440 to Keith (aka "Mo"
for molasses) I  had no idea what work it would need when he
started digging into it, but I'd love to take advantage of someone
else's experience when it comes time to get the bill.

> If you ever get a chance to get to Dave
> Bauerle's in Ohio

If my D can drive to Ohio, I'll be thrilled.  LOL, I'm in Arizona.  But
great that you have a reliable and trustworthy mechanic.  I'm hoping
Keith proves to be the same.  He's a great guy and always has an
impressive collection of Mercedes that he's working on.  He's been
around forever and seems to be very methodical in this project that I
kind of dumped on him.

> Oh and you mentioned "when you get it back" about your car. I take it
> it is out for work or repairs?

Yes.  I drove it home from Phoenix when I bought it - about 120
miles - and wanted to deal with the cooling issues before I drove it
in the AZ heat.  It had overheating problems, which I knew when I
bought the car, and anticipated replacing all the hoses.   It also has
a problem shifting into 1st and 2nd, which makes it hard to drive -
and embarassing when I can't get going in gear.  Keith has had it for
two months and is now jamming on it to get it done.  I'm sure he'd
like the space back.

>WHat kind of major repairs were needed

that's it.  The cooling system is the biggie, the shifting issue is a
problem and the A/C doesn't  work, which isn't a biggie to me.   The
rest of the car seems very sound.  I drove it home at about 90 (the
speedometer seems a little off <GG>) and it purred all the way.  I
actually had to hold it back.

>  a car from Sean Corbett? I always thought he sold Deloreans that
> were near junk and advertised them as mint, and that is where the
> whole problem stemmed from. How was the car you got from him?

Maybe I'm ahead of the game because I live so close to Sean.  I
didn't buy it sight unseen on EBAY.  I went up there and looked at
and under the car, drove it and decided it was a decent car.  The
interior is pretty sad, but that was one of my criteria.  I couldn't
afford a perfect car and was willing to compromise the interior in
favor of a car with no rust and a solid engine.  I'm sure when I start
driving it I'll find more issues that need to be resolved, but my
impression so far is that it's in pretty good shape.  It has absolutely
no rust on the frame (gotta love Arizona and SoCal!),  the crumple-
tube bracket upgrade,  double-nutted sway bar (thanks to Daniel for
showing me where to look for those), and a stainless reservoir
upgrade.    I have receipts from Garden Grove from the PO who had
recently replaced the clutch master and did some more work that I
can't remember offhand.

Funny - when I went to Phx to look at the car I had no clue about
Sean's story.  But he inadvertantly left the lawsuit papers on the car
so I started reading.  Apparently this was his daily-driver car that
the Sherff's dept was making him sell to pay restitution to the
people he cheated.  He did seem to baby it and do his best to keep it
in good shape, within the constraints of his budget and knowledge.
I have a photo somewhere of the plumbing elbow stamped Thailand
that he incorporated into the cooling system.  FWIW, it's hilarious
but it worked!

click here