Re: [DMCForum] Alternator Pulley Alignment

Re: [DMCForum] Alternator Pulley Alignment

If you have a good eye for that stuff, you can see that the
belt is crooked by looking straight down on it.  Eyeball the
a/c compressor belt against the heatshield to make sure
those are parallel to each other.  Then compare the
heatshield to the alternator belt.

If you don't have a good eye for it, then tie a string in
the engine compartment and measure off of it.

If you have the alternator out of the car, measure from the
hinge/bracket to the center of the "V" in the pulley.
Measure any John Hervey alternator and compare with any
stock alternator.  There will be a 4mm difference.  It's not
very obvious, but it will wear the belt quicker.  Today I
replaced the alternator belt on Jim Sleeth's car.  Jim had a
PepBoys belt on there that was probably less than a year old
(and only a few thousand miles on it).  I think the belt
came apart because of the pulley misalignment due to John
Hervey's alternator.

I just replaced some John Hervey stainless braded brake
lines on the same car.  The brakes weren't right since we
put those hoses on.  I held them straight and couldn't see
light through them.  I tried blowing compressed air through
them.  Some of the lines passed air with restriction.  Some
I could barely blow air through.  Those lines caused uneven
braking.

Today I replaced the front lines with ones from Martin
Gutkowski (DMUK).  I was able to hold Martin's lines
straight and see clear through them from one end to the
other.  These are how stainless braided brake lines should
be.

> I find John Hervey very reliable, very helpful, very kind,
and his
> alternators are great.

Let's see... I find John Hervey to be
very reliable - no.
helpful - yes.
kind - yes.
alternators are great? - no.  They put out the most current
at low RPM, and that is remarkable.  But they don't fit
right.  I've explained this to him many times, and it just
doesn't seem to soak in.

He lost an alternator I sent in for repair along with a
FanFix.  He billed me for merchandise I paid cash for at the
Memphis show.  So I cannot call him reliable.

As for me?  I am unreliable!  I am not as nice a person as
John Hervey is. :-)  I can be an evil bastard and proud of
it.  But you can always expect the truth from me no matter
how bad it sounds.*

* = white lies about size of manhood and obvious vices
excepted.

Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
I'm a WomanMan  seeking a ManWoman