RE: [DMCForum] Voodoo Economics.

Be careful what you wish for :)

>Being unemployed, I can tell you that you are wrong.

Do you assume I have never been unemployed, or even worse, virtually
homeless?

>People hiring illegals off the books are not
>interested in hiring a person with a BS degree who was
>making decent money less than 2 years ago.

I did mistype when I stated 'illegals', but many legal immigrants are taking
jobs others would consider beneath them.  A BS degree or even higher can be
shunned, but it all depends on how you approach a company.  You don't get an
upper level position by talking with lower level employees.  Also, a
college/university degree in this day and age is the equivalent of a high
school diploma not too long ago.

>I have applied for many jobs that pay less than what I
>used to make.  Taking a 25% pay cut would be no
>problem for me, however when I interview for these
>jobs they are unhappy with the fact that I used to
>make more money.  Frankly, they think I will just
>leave them when a better offer comes along.  This is a
>widespread problem today because so many people are
>LUCKY enough to be UNDEREMPLOYED.  (Wish I was one of
>them).

If memory serves, and I do not know if this is a nationwide regulation or
not, but I think previous employers are only allowed to verify previous
employment, not income levels.

>Truth is, anyone who does their job well would look to
>leave if (when) the market gets better.  No matter
>what they used to make.

You need to convince them you are there for the long haul.  If you stock
shelves, you need to be the best damned shelf stocker there.

>Even local retails places like Home Depot are not to
>quick to hire ex-techies who were overpaid for the
>last few years...  Hey, I know I was overpaid but was
>I supposed to say "No thanks, I will work for less
>money than you offer because I don't want to fuck up
>my ability to get a job when Bush screws up the
>economy".

I worked with someone who was an 'ex-techie', and actually in upper
management.  When the internet bubble burst and we were all laid off, he
went to work for Home Depot as one of those guys on the floor helping you
find stuff.  The difference in jobs he had was astounding.  I have no
respect for this guy in his work ethic however.  Again, and I keep repeating
this, every administration effects the next.  Bush did not have time to
instantaneously fuck up the world in eight months no matter how much you
want to think and feel that he did.

>And hey, I am guilty.. Before I became unemployed, I
>shared your opinion on the subject.  Now that I have
>walked in these shoes I realize the reality of the
>situation.

It is amazing how one's own experiences can change one's views of the world
around them, huh?  Try having a twenty dollar bill to buy food for who knows
how long, not to mention other living expenses.

>Now should we start discussing how the unemployment
>insurance program sucks so bad?!  :)

My insurance with my previous employer was beyond incredible.  I thought I
was doomed until I started looking around on my own instead of listening to
everyone tell me what I had to do.

Greg