Re: [DMCForum] Choosing Coolant: was: Radiator replacement?

Re: [DMCForum] Choosing Coolant: was: Radiator replacement?

> The color is only used to identify the manufacturer.

How can this be true when Prestone makes various colors?
Obviously they don't have a monopoly on green & orange.

The newer "orange" coolant is licensed by GM under the name
DEX-COOL.  You are not likely to find any orange colored
antifreeze for sale that is not licensed by GM/DEX-COOL.  If
you do, tell me about it.  I want to know.

I read over www.prestone.com and have not found any explicit
recommendations against using DEX-COOL in systems that were
not designed for it.  They say that DEX-COOL is,
"recommended and formulated for use in all GM vehicles that
require a GM DEX-COOL® approved formula coolant, as well as
all other cars and light-duty trucks with aluminum
radiators".
So if DEX-COOL is good for aluminum radiators _and_
DeLoreans were all made with aluminum radiators then
DEX-COOL is fine, right?  Then what about the brass/lead
heater cores?  Those aren't aluminum, and they are connected
to the system just like radiators.  And what if we replace
our original radiators with brass?

Prestone says that the regular green stuff, "protects all
cooling system metals from rust and corrosion, including the
thin, lightweight aluminum found in many newer radiators".
They don't claim "all cooling system metals" with the orange
stuff.  And I've heard plenty of claims in car show parking
lots that the orange stuff is only bad for lead solder.  Who
is right?  Can anyone prove anything?  After the Pigeon
Forge show, we found that Mike Cohee's heater core was
leaking, so we replaced it while we were overhauling the a/c
system.  I was certain that it was leaking because he had
orange coolant in there.  Is there a correlation?

And speaking of all these colors, can anyone recommend some
dyes that I can add to my own coolant so that I can tell it
from everyone else's?  I hate parking over someone else's
puddle wondering if it came from my car.

Walt

click here