Re: [DMCForum] Re: Ripping Out Cement & Wire Tile Base

Re: [DMCForum] Re: Ripping Out Cement & Wire Tile Base

> I replaced one of my bathroom subfloors from below, leaving the mesh &
> cement (and tile) in place.

What's a subfloor?  For that matter, what's a basement?  <GGG>
Construction out here is so different from back East, what you're
describing is way beyond my expertise or experience.  Here, it's just
a house on a concrete slab.  Basements are almost unheard of. Two
reasons -- one because it's easier to spread out than dig down.  And
two -- digging down would require blasting.  The desert turns
minerals into a natural concrete called caliche (kuh-LEE-chee) --
rock hard and a bitch to cut through.  We had to jackhammer out
fence post holes - and even then we could only set them 18" down.

> Original house construction set the bathtub (cast iron) on the
> subfloor, then the cement was laid to its front edge. Of course water
> ran down the edge (step children), puddled and ran down the crack
> between it and the cement, and eventually ate up the subfloor.

Then you should have made the stepkids dig it out ;)

> I ripped out the plywood from underneath (crawlspace) one joist width
> at a time, and fed in new 16" strips. Finished floor briefly hung
> suspended while I did it. Worked like a charm.

WOW -- that's a major undertaking.  Glad I don't live closer so you
couldn't take me up on my offer.

> And I didn't have to relay any tile.

I'd relay tile in a heartbeat before doing all that work!

click here