[DMCForum] Re: Tech Work At DCS 2006 (Auctioned)

[DMCForum] Re: Tech Work At DCS 2006 (Auctioned)

Don't think an auction would be either necessary or in the spirit of
ownership. As you saw at DCS 2004, people will spontaneously start
working on cars whether it's part of the show or not. Have you ever
seen a DeLo in trouble without a swarm of fellow owners swooping in
immediately to lend assistance? Happened throughout the weekend at
Pigeon Forge, not just Saturday (I helped someone replace a damaged
radiator just before leaving town Sunday).

Imagine if the parking lot in front of the Grand breezeway had been
roped off for an outdoor display (Ken's original vision?). DeLo's to
the left AND to the right. Folks inside would be cleaning and
polishing for the judges (as is DEFINITELY appropriate for them to
do). Folks outside would be running their engines, making a mess(?),
and otherwise doing what is appropriate for them.

Imagine a member of the general public walking into such a show.
They'd experience the gamut of DeLorean ownership. Outside: the
grease, sweat and tears that innevitably must happen (unlike some
marques, most DeLoreans are NOT garage queens brought in by trailer,
but rather are working & driving in road service as designed -- a
tribute to the company). Inside, the beauty and pride that is the end
result of all that labor. Outside: rescued cars that are only
beginning the long trek of restoration. Inside: cars that have
admirably finished the journey. And of course around the periphery:
custom modifications, BTTF conversions, concours showpieces (SOMEBODY
has to remind us what these cars looked like in the dealership), etc.

In Cleveland and Memphis Ken honed the outdoor portion of his show. In
Pigeon Forge he figured out how to work a convention center. What do
you bet in Chicago he brings them both together...

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mike Walsh" <yahoo@xxxx> wrote:
> Maybe have an on-line auction before the show to auction "tech time"
> from the experts. For example 2 hours of Air Cond labor - starting
> bid $100. The work can then be done in the days before the show and
> the proceeds could go toward food, entertainment or security.
>
> - Mike

click here