Re: [DMCForum] Jacking points?

I used to use the fiberglass jack points to hold cars up.
But I quit for the same reason that you stopped -- too many
scary noises.  What happens is when you support the car by
the fiberglass underbody then the frame 'hangs' under the
car.  If the body bolts aren't already loose, this will help
free them up [sic].

What I do now is jack the car up using a 2x4 like you do.
But then I put jacks at each end of the 2x4's before I
remove the floor jack.  (I usually leave the floor jack in
place if it won't be in the way.)

The 2x4 for the rear is just long enough to fit between the
lower control arms.  The 2x4 for the front is just long
enough to fit between the tow hooks.  Another one I did fits
behind the tow hooks, so it is a little longer.

Some people don't like this method because it puts the jack
stands rather close together.  But I feel fine with it --
and my life depends on it working under these cars.

To get the jack stands father apart, some people like to put
them under the pivoting parts of the suspension.  But I
would just assume put the car on concrete blocks before I
tried anything that stupid.

Walt

click here