[DMCForum] Hi, Mr Ashcroft!

They're already pushing Patriot II. But that's OK, we'll still be able
to drive our stainless steel cars. Unfortunately they'll be able to
search and seize anything they want without a warrant or reason. Oh
wait, they can already do that. :\

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the
first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all
irrevocably. The first time any man's freedom is trod on, we are all
damaged.

We think we've come so far. Torture of witches, burning of heretics is
all ancient history. And then, someone wants to start it all over again.

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe
themselves in good deeds are well-camoflauged.

Spreading fear in the name of righteousness is immoral and unethical, no
matter who is doing it. It's happened throughout history in many
different venues, from schoolyards to governments.

Eternal vigilance is the price the free-thinking must pay to guard our
hard-fought-for rights, not the least of which is freedom of speech.

Unfortunately, we humans have very short memories and easily discard the
past as irrelevant. We as a species have the most amazing capacity for
self-deception, matched only by our ingenuity when trying to destroy
ourselves.

But we live in America. We live and learn. If the pendulum swings too
far in one direction, don't worry -- it'll come back again. We learn
slowly, but we do learn. :)

Right, Mister Ashcroft? ;D

--Farrar

content22207 wrote:
> With the USA Patriot Act running around loose? Would never dream of
> saying such...
>
> Fortunately it's late enough that I'll only be stuck in Gitmo for 6
> and a half months until Nader or Kerry takes office and puts an end to
> this madness.
>
> Didn't we learn anything from the internment of Japanese Americans?
>
> (Are you still reading Mr. Ashcroft?)

click here