RE: [DMCForum] Time for a new political discussion...

RE: [DMCForum] Time for a new political discussion...

One of the central charges made by left-wing filmmaker Michael Moore in his
upcoming, Bush-bashing film is being undermined by another critic of the
president -- former White House counter-terrorism czar Richard Clarke.

Moore's upcoming film, Fahrenheit 911, points to President Bush's rumored
relationship with Saudi officials as the motivating factor in the president
allegedly allowing relatives of terror mastermind Osama bin Laden to fly out
of the country following the Sept.11, 2001 terror attacks.

But Clarke recently admitted that he alone approved the exit of the bin
Laden kin -- damaging the key premise of Moore's film.

Chris Horner, a GOP strategist, finds irony in the fact that the credibility
of Moore's film is being undermined by one of Bush's biggest critics even
before the film is released in the United States.

"When self-promoting, Bush-hating conspiracy theorists collide," Horner said
of Moore and Clarke.

"One self-promoting, Bush-hating conspiracy theorist (Clarke) proves the
undoing of another Bush-hating conspiracy theorist (Moore)," Horner told
CNSNews.com.

Moore has alleged in interviews promoting the film that Bush and his father,
former president George H.W. Bush, had close ties to the Saudis, which led
to the decision to help bin Laden's family leave the country following the
terrorist attacks.

Clarke's sworn testimony before the 9/11 Commission in March, describing how
the FBI approved the flights for the bin Ladens and other Saudis to leave
the U.S., may have strengthened that premise. But Clarke's interview with
The  <http://www.thehill.com/news/052604/clarke.aspx> Hill newspaper,
published on May 26, contradicted that previous testimony.

The decision to approve the flights, Clarke admitted last week, had been his
own. The request "didn't get any higher than me," he told The Hill .

"On 9-11, 9-12 and 9-13, many things didn't get any higher than me. I
decided it in consultation with the FBI," Clarke said of the plane flight
carrying bin Laden's relatives.

"I take responsibility for it. I don't think it was a mistake, and I'd do it
again," he added. The Saudis and bin Laden's relatives were flown from the
U.S. out of fear for their safety following the terror attacks.

Clarke turned against the Bush administration and became a darling of the
left earlier this year when he criticized the government's anti-terror
policies. His book Against All Enemies : Inside America's War on Terror ,
detailed his frustrations working in the administration, and news clips of
Clarke appear in Moore's documentary, according to film critics who have
screened the movie.

But Moore's film relies in part on Clarke's original comments, the ones he
has now contradicted.

According to a movie review by the BBC, one of the film's "chief accusations
is Bush allowed planes to pick up 24 members of the bin Laden family and fly
them out of the U.S. in the days following the attacks - when all other
aircraft were grounded."

The BBC review states that the movie explores "the relationships between the
Bush and bin Laden dynasties."

Fahrenheit 911 received a 10-minute standing ovation and the top award at
the Cannes Film Festival in France in May. It is expected that the film will
be released in the U.S. in July.

While promoting the documentary, Moore has not been shy in linking Bush's
alleged "relationship" with the bin Laden family to the flight that took the
bin Ladens and other Saudis from the U.S. following Sept. 11, 2001.

"So here is Bush trying to deal with everything on Sept. 11, 12 13th, you
know. You remember, everybody remembers the total state of chaos and people,
just everyone, all of us, discombobulated by the whole thing, and he had the
time to be thinking -- what can I do to help the bin Ladens right now,"
Moore told  <http://www.pacifica.org/programs/dn/040511.html> Pacifica radio
last October.

"And all of these elaborate plans were made, because [the Saudis] were
spread out throughout the country, to be able to pick them up, get them to
Boston and then get them to Paris," Moore said.

"While we are being told that the hunt is on for Osama bin Laden, what is
really going on is when you got 24 bin Ladens here, (a disputed number) you
know, none of them are asked for any kind of help. None of them are
interrogated, and they are given the royal red carpet treatment in the days
after September 11th. My question is why? What is really going on here?"
Moore asked.

But Horner believes Moore's film will eventually be discredited.

"In his rush to ensure that no credit goes un-annexed, Clarke exposes
Moore's rant as based on paranoia and the presumptions common among
fever-swamp liberals that never survive the slightest encounter with facts,"
he said.

Horner sees Clarke's admission and its impact on the credibility of
Fahrenheit 9/11 as just the latest setback for what he calls the
"conspiratorial left" in the past year.

"First [former Democratic presidential candidate] Howard Dean implodes in a
fury. Then Clarke bombs, and then the [Al] Franken/[Al] Gore political
MoveOn-ment (MoveOn.org) lashes itself to the hilariously hapless [global
warming disaster film] The Day After Tomorrow
<http://www.cnsnews.com/Nation/Archive/200405/NAT20040512a.html>  . And then
there is the collective failure of [the liberal] Air America radio," Horner
explained.

"Now Moore's movie's premises are revealed to be nothing more than huffing
liberal anger. Every weapon in the pacifist arsenal has proven, fittingly, a
dud," Horner charged.

click here