From: content22207 [mailto:brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 5:20 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Re: Starting Car In Gear

I sincerely doubt this was cause of Josh's predicament. Starting a car
in gear only moves it a foot or two, at fairly low velocity.

Note that starting in gear is the *ONLY* way to slam shift from a
total standstill (on level terrain) -- a very handy feature when your
clutch hydraulics go out.

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Andrew <aos+yahoo@xxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, DMCVIN6683 wrote:
>
> A lot of European model cars (for sale in Europe, that is, not
> manufactured in Europe) still don't have this "feature".  I think this
> means the manufacturers think Americans don't know how to drive
sticks.
> (And perhaps the event at the Grand Hotel proves it.)
>
> Personally, I have disabled this "feature" on my other car.  There are
> uses for turning a starter motor while in gear, and I'd rather not be
> caught without the ability to do so.
>
> -andrew

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here