[DMCForum] Re: Water Pump

Hey Dave,

This is a risky decision. It depends on where the leak is coming from.
Your choices are:

1. One of the "elbow" hoses
2. The impeller shaft seal, dripping out of the "weep hole" in the
bottom of the shaft casting on the water pump.
3. A rear pump hose
4. Lastly, one of the "Y" pipe seals

The problem is, ANY of those items could catastrophically fail on your
trip. I do agree that no cap, or a much lower pressure cap -might- get
you by. It's bad timing for sure, and I'll bet you're bummed.

The short of it is this; If you're going to risk it make sure you have
a AAA gold membership so you can be towed as far as need be in case it
just doesn't last. I guess the most important thing, is for you to
make it -to- P/F, because there'll be about 100 dudes who can swap out
your pump or hoses in a couple of hours if push comes to shove.

Lastly, shine a light around and try to determine if it's one of the
aforementioned hoses. With the engine OFF, put your index finger
behind the water pump pulley, on the underside of the impeller shaft
casting and feel for the little round hole. If you come away wet,
that's the culprit.

Rich A.

I hope you make it. I love your car.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, doctorDHD@xxxx wrote:
> I just noted a little coolant under my water pump.  What can I do to
prolong
> its life so I can make it to and from PF?  How long willit last like
it is??

> Can I use a lower pressure cap.
>
> if so what kind??
>
> Thanks