Re: [DMCForum] Re: God Squad

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, supremeadmiralsenn wrote:

> Most of the people that do crazy stuff "in the name of God" are just
> crazy. If it's not in agreement with the Bible, it's safe to bet that
> the person isn't hearing from God.

I know this, and I wasn't genuinely suggesting that god, if it exists,
actually told her to murder her children.  The point was more that since
god has no official, tangible representation through which to make its
wishes known, "if God says to do it, I think it's okay" leaves a whole lot
of room for interpretation of what god is saying.  She thought god told
her to do it, so it was okay to her.  What does god tell you to do that
you therefore think is okay that the rest of us might not?  (Not trying to
suggest you're about to go bash in your kids' heads, but put yourself in
her shoes for a moment and try to decide where to draw the line between
communication with god and insanity.)

> There are fanatics and crazies all over the place in every group.

Amen.  Atheists included.  :)

> I really would rather not get into the details as to why
> I believe in him, as obviously to you I'm just a little kid who
> doesn't know any better.

I'm really not trying to suggest that, nor do I believe that everyone who
believes in god is an idiot.  I think they're wrong, but it's an opinion.
I have no more proof there is no god than you have proof there is.  If you
felt like I was calling you an idiot, I'm sorry.  I'm kind of playing
devil's advocate here (literally?) to get people to think a little.

I'm actually not an asshole.  I just play one on DMCForum.

-andrew