From: content22207 [mailto:brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 12:12 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Re: Why Swap A PRV?

Rest easy -- you didn't hurt my feelings. No one can hurt them more
than JZD already has. Am afraid that nice old man has cost me first
place in line at the Pearly Gates. Am using a dictionary now to look
up new cuss words to call him. Is obvious the gentleman never worked
for Ford Motor Company.

Unless EFI uses a low profile intake manifold, you're going to be in
the same situation as K Jetronic. My carbureted one is no more than 3
or 4 inches high. Starts at the outer cylinder O rings, then tapers
towards the CENTER of the engine. I can access hose clamps on the back
of my water pump with the intake in place! Is 2 steps beyond nice.

What frustrates me most about this project is the deadline. I'm having
to cut corners and make compromises I wouldn't have made with more
time available. Say to myself "you can always go back and change it",
but you know as well as I do that time will never permit. The
installation currently going down is the installation the car will
most likely keep (unless I swap back to my Renault block after repair
-- all K Jetronic plumbing and wiring is still in the car. Even the
motor mount adapters are bolted on using original crossmember holes).

You'll definitely see me in Pigeon Forge, driving a motorized
conveyance of some ilk. Am sorry I missed you at Mid Atlantic. Oh
well, there's always Fall Foliage 2004.

Oh, my cost in the new engine is $500. Carburetor, belts & hoses, etc
have added another $300 or so. The thing came complete with all
acessories however (alternator, water pump, distributor), so I guess
you should subtract their value from the total investment. I'm still
burning the old alternator to get the good out of it, but everything
else is new. A/C compressor is of course original to the car.

Hope you get to see my dual exhaust at Pigeon Forge. Total cost in it
is $150. All stainless except for the mufflers themselves (couldn't
find stainless ones small enough). They're only $15 apiece however, so
even if I end up replacing them 5 or 10 years down the road I can't
complain. My engine is moving a LOT of air now. Difference from stock
DeLo is unbelievable. Gutting the converter helped, but nothing like
this. Is a tad loud though.

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@xxxx> wrote:
> Bill,
>
> I have been following what you are doing and did not
> mean to put your project down.  I have respect for
> anyone who tries a project like this.
>
> Also, I have no specific issues with the PRV.  I think
> it is a good engine..  However, it would NOT be my
> choice of engines when considering the cost and effort
> that goes in to doing a conversion project.
>
> We agree the DMC FI system is the source of many
> problems.  However, our solutions to the problem are
> different.  You want to take a step back and use older
> technology in the form of a carburetor, where I would
> replace it with a modern EFI system that is more
> efficient and and reliable.  Again, no disrespect just
> a different opinion.
>
> See you in Pigeon Forge!
>

> Marc

click here