Re: [DMCForum] It's Alive, Dr Frankenstein, It's Alive...

Re: [DMCForum] It's Alive, Dr Frankenstein, It's Alive...

> Oh: biggest problem -- I now have no 1/4" vacuum port to
vacuum my
A/C!

You made me cough and gag after reading that one, Bill.
Think about the laws of physics here.  If you pull a vacuum
of up to 18mmHg, this is not enough to even begin to
evaporate moisture out of the system -- let alone pull the
atmospheric air out.  Why even bother?  Just piss in there
and dump in some R-143a.

I'm hoping to be in Maryland by this upcoming weekend.  I'm
bringing all my A/C stuff, so if you're around we can pull a
real vacuum on your system and charge it right.  My labor is
free (and worth what you pay for... oh never mind).  Anyway,
just supply parts, and I have tools & labor.

To date I have taken apart 8 DeLorean A/C systems and put 4
of them back together and had them work.  (One only lasted
two years, but that wasn't my fault.)  I've seen various
mistakes that previous mechanics have made on these systems.
They range from mixing incompatible refrigerants, topping
off with refrigerant but not adding any oil, not thoroughly
vacuuming a system which leaves moisture in the system which
leads to sometimes massive corrosion which leads to really
messed up evaporators.  Of all that I have seen, I have to
say that moisture in the system is the most common mistake
and most destructive.

You shrug your shoulders and say that what you do with your
system works and blows nice & cold.  Yes.  Sure.  Fine.  It
may for a while if you don't get chunks of ice clogging
things.  When it finally rots apart and you open your lines
up, some of the fittings will be seized solid.

I don't mean to preach at you too hard, Bill.  You really
are a great guy.  If I were stuck on the Apollo space
capsule and had to do whatever it took to get home alive, I
would want you there with your cut & hack engineering
skills.  But if given the time & space to do things right, I
will.  And that doesn't include your methods, dude. :-)
Isn't it wonderful how God has a use for everyone?

Walt