Re: [DMCForum] Re: Rear view mirror

It looks just like my mirror i put in my car. I would like to see how
it is attached to the windshield.

Mark V

On Sunday, June 6, 2004, at 09:34  PM, ryanpwright wrote:

> You know what? I think my mounting pad was torn off at some point in
> time. The backing of my mirror was most certainly nothing but plastic.
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Is the mounting pad a "separate" thing? For example, on most cars
> you mount a little block to the window, and the mirror snaps onto
> that. Mine didn't have this.
>
> 2. Does the stock DeLorean windshield have a black "mounting point"
> integrated into the window? Or do you put the mirror right on the
> glass?
>
> When I bought the car I had a mirror with a plastic mounting base,
> barely held on by double-sided tape. On the windshield I had a little
> black rectangle integrated into the glass where the mirror mounts.
> This wasn't a thick mount of any sort, it was a super thin thing that
> seemed like it was part of the glass. I glued the plastic base of my
> mirror to that little rectangle.
>
> Here's a pic of my mirror: http://www.ryanwright.com/delorean/int2.jpg
>
> Let me know if you need any close-ups, etc.
>
> -Ryan
>
> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
>>> What metal? My entire mirror is plastic. There's no metal
>> on it.
>>
>> If your mirror is of the so-called "original" variety -- be
>> it NOS, or whatever, the mounting pad is made of a soft
>> aluminum/pewter alloy.  So what kind of mirror do you have?
>> Does it look stock?  Can you show us a picture of it?
>> Meanwhile I'll see if I can scare up some photos of that
>> bullseye cracked windshield I saw at the last SEDOC show.
>> From the way it cracked, it is self-explanatory of why it
>> cracked.  You know the saying -- a picture is worth a
>> thousand words (or a cracked windshield :-)
>>
>> The Gentex electro-chromatic mirror that I am going to mount
>> on my DeLo is rather heavy (I think) for being held to glass
>> with mere tape.  The mount is of the regular GM variety, but
>> it didn't come with the shoe that glues to the glass.  All
>> the original shoes I have seen are metal, but many of the
>> aftermarket replacements are plastic.  But this system seems
>> too small to be held to glass with tape -- not enough
>> surface area to hold with something weaker than GM OEM glue.
>> And that kind of glue is only good for a few years at best.
>> There are exceptions, but seemingly not on any car that I am
>> responsible for maintaining.
>>
>> For mounting this Gentex mirror, I'm still undecided between
>> two approaches:
>>
>> 1) Drill & tap a junkyard metal mounting shoe and screw it
>> to a custom aluminum plate (shoe) the size of the OEM mirror
>> footprint.  Then tape that to the windshield using
>> traditional DeLorean glass-friendly mounting tape.
>>
>> 2) Make a new bracket that will hold the mirror to the
>> fiberglass roof of the car and skip that glass mounting
>> fiasco shit all together.  I helped a guy make one before in
>> my shop for his DeLorean.  It looks cool and was good for a
> [...]
Come see all of my Photo's at my Website's
http://groups.msn.com/DMCPhotos/shoebox.msnw
http://photos.yahoo.com/snextime
http://www.exoticrides.com/galleries/showgallery.php?ppuser=57

click here