[DMCForum] Re: Wiring a CD Changer

Walt,

I was confused. I thought he was talking about somehow wiring up the
door locks with the CD changer. Didn't make any sense to me.

Yes, tapping power from there would be just fine.

> My opinion is that adding unnecessary connections to a corroding
> battery terminal will compromise the reliability of the car.

If you have a corroding battery terminal, maybe it should be replaced.
:) I pulled a hot and ground directly from the battery for my alarm
system. I used 12 gauge wire with ring terminals on the battery side.
I now have a dedicated connection for various add-on devices that
won't interfere with any of my other circuits. My door launchers use
this (the hot, anyway; they share a ground with the doors) and when I
get my speaker amplifiers installed, they can tap right into it as
well. This was my preferred way of doing it.

As far as mechanics or others trying to diagnose a problem, I would
submit that a direct pull from the battery is easier to diagnose than
tapping into another circuit. At least that way it's obvious something
had been added. Looking at a tap, who knows what that could be for -
maybe it's an addition, maybe it's a hack to fix a broken door circiut.

However, in Derek's case, he's just adding a very low current draw CD
changer. He could tap in just about anywhere and it wouldn't be a problem.

-Ryan

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> > Don't play with your central locking circuit. I don't know why you
> would be told to do anything with that.
>
> Check out the following pic:
> http://www.DMCForum.org/images/relay_compartment.jpg
>
> Tapping power from the door lock circuit is how I installed the
stereo in my car.  It is likely that you read one of my accounts of
this in the various archives.  The arrow points to the new connection
I made.  Both sides of the circuit breaker have spare 1/4" male spade
lug terminals available which are rated at 20A ala Lucas.  Here I used
the output side.  (Damn it's nice to just walk out to the garage and
snap a photo.  I still have a lot to learn about the finer details.)

> Almost exclusively, stereo equipment manufactures recommend tapping
power directly from the battery.  This is because many customers don't
understand the difference between a solid high-current connection
versus powering a whole system from a strand of phone wire.

> My opinion is that adding unnecessary connections to a corroding
battery terminal will compromise the reliability of the car.  It will
also make it more difficult for other mechanics to figure out what
you've done and not bugger it up.

> Walt

click here