From: Walter Coe [mailto:Whalt@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2004 12:11 AM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DMCForum] A/C Question

> but the compressor isn't cycling -- it just runs
continuously.

Are you sure you have the right size fixed orifice tube in
there?  If it is too big, maybe it is keeping the low side
from getting low enough.  (However, I'm not experienced
enough to know if this is likely.)  Did you put it in
backwards?  (But this would cause more of a clog than a
free-flow.)  Or leave the o-ring(s) off of it?

> Considering it only would take about 28 ounces of R12, and
the
service bulletin calls for 36 oz, I don't think it's
overcharged.

It can be a pain to get the proper amount of refrigerant in
there.  In order to get it from the storage bottle & into
the system, it needs to be in the gaseous state (if you are
doing this while the system is running.)  As the refrigerant
boils out, it makes the bottle colder.  And the colder it
gets, the slower it boils (if at all).  The fix is to put it
in a hot water bath or just hit it with a heat gun.  My
preference is the heat gun.  There are caveats to doing this
safely, so be educated first.

> The low-pressure switch is new.  Could that be the issue?

Yes, but...  All of the new ones I've installed needed a
little tweaking.  The specs call for them to cycle at about
30 psi +/- 2 psi.  So if your cycling switch is defective or
improperly adjusted then the low side should keep getting
lower until it either gets low enough to trip the switch or
the high side gets so high that the safety devices take
effect.  Technically, the 32 psi you are getting is within
spec, so you could adjust your cycling switch to operate at
that pressure.  But what's eating Vixen's grape is: What's
stopping the low side from being able to go under 32 psi?
Being too low on refrigerant (which you say you are) should
have the opposite effect making it go too low too easily
(and short cycle).

There aren't too many possibilities left...
{brain storming.... remembers vase has been out of flowers
for way too long... damn!}
An excessive ambient temperature could cause this, but not
at 75F.  Unless maybe your radiator fans aren't running?  Or
blowing the wrong direction -- one or both?  Or the
condenser is full of grass(!) clippings?  Maybe your
compressor is weak.  How much refrigerant oil did you put in
there?  Did you remember to turn the pulley by hand to
distribute the oil so that it isn't damaged the first time
it kicks on?  This should be done even if you didn't add
oil.  (I've already learned this the hard way!)  Just moving
the compressor around can cause oil to puddle where you
don't want it.

Okay, my brain's empty. :-)

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12996tncc/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups