Re: [DMCForum] Re: Timing?

Okay mate, don't worry it's easy. Get your timing light, and put the
pickup on no 1 (that's the plug nearest the coil). Use some white paint
or correction fluid or sumsuch, and whiten the two notches on the
crankshaft pulley (only one is the one you need, but it's less effort
just painting them both than faffing about working out which is the
right one!).

See the timing scale just above and to the right of the crank pulley?
You don't need to be able to read it, just note the two notches in it.
THe notch on the right is 0 degrees, the notch on the left is 13
degrees. You need to set the timing to 13 degrees. There's a single 11mm
nut locking the dizzy down - it's under the idlespeed motor and usually
obscured by fuel lines and HT leads. The most difficult part of this
procedure is undoing and doing up that nut!!! Rotate the dizzy to set
the timing. Your idle needs to be spot on at 800rpm(ish) and not hunting.

In the time it's taken for me to write this, I could have set the timing
on an engine, it's that easy.

Martin

click here