Re: [DMCForum] gone digital (finally)

On Sat, 29 May 2004, Walter Coe wrote:

> Is 6.1 megapixels a reasonable resolution?

As others have pointed out, 6 Mpixel is the top end of consumer equipment.
It's more than enough.

However, Mpixels aren't the only important thing.  It's the one feature
the camera manufacturers like to tout (let's compare it to, say, 0-60
time) because consumers can easily weigh a simple number like that.  In my
opinion, CCD and lens quality contribute far more to picture quality than
does the number of pixels.

You obviously know your lens quality, since you're using your existing
Nikon lenses.  If you're happy with the lenses on your F4, you'll be happy
with them on the D70.

CCD quality is a big factor, too.  You've selected a camera with a really
good CCD, so I'm sure you'll be happy with it.  One quicky way to judge
quantitatively how good a CCD is is to study extreme contrast spots in
your pictures, like reflections of the sun off metal surfaces.  Every CCD
made will, to one degree or another, create a purple bleed off the
reflection.  How small this bleed is depends on how good your CCD is.
Good CCDs will generate bleeds small enough that they don't show at all
unless you digitally zoom way in on the picture.  Bad ones will generate
bleeds large enough to see without altering picture size.

The D70 is a great camera.  It's one of the few digitals out there that I
believe manages not to look like a digital camera in its output.  I'm a
purist, so I'll still say "it's not film, so it's not as good", but the
nice Nikon digital cameras come the closest to looking like film of any
sub-$20K setup I've seen.

> The thing is a feather compared to the F4 brick I'm used to.

You have spoiled yourself.  The F4 is of course one of the best 35mm SLRs
ever made.  While the D70 will outperform almost every camera the average
consumer owns, don't expect it to satisfy you more than your F4 in all
regards.  It's certainly lighter, more convenient, and has some more
modern features, but I expect you will find that when used properly, your
F4 produces superior pictures.  In most situations, however, the
difference in quality will be more than offset by the added convenience of
the digital.

Good choice on the D70.  I think you'll end up being very happy with it.
Since you're someone who owns a serious SLR, I'm glad to see you didn't
settle for a digital that isn't.

-andrew

click here