[DMCForum] Re: my intermittant overheat problem (Blocked Radiator)

[DMCForum] Re: my intermittant overheat problem (Blocked Radiator)

Absolutely, especially if you're using unsuitable tap water. Mineral
deposits build up like cement (that's what cement's made of --
limestone). Once that happens there's no way to remove it. Forget
elixers and radiator flushes -- cement is cement.

What kind of water do you have in Florida? Do deposits build up inside
your hot water heater, toilet tank, etc? If so, that may well be what
the inside of your radiator looks like. Remember how tiny radiator
passages are...

Remove the screen and feel the front of your radiator. Blocked
passages show up as cool spots. A totally blocked radiator will be
cool everywhere except the side channels.

Careful with antifreeze around animals (causes kidney failure). Kills
a dog in a couple of days. Kills a cat within 24 hours. Kills a bird
in minutes. Also kills grass.

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxx> wrote:
> Rad's blocked.....
>
> Walter Coe wrote:
>
> > On my way home from our delightful car show at
> > Celebration/Disney, this car started to run too hot
> > (again!).  This is despite even not having the a/c working.
> > (The cobbler's child has no shoes, oh wait... :-)
> >
> > When it got two needle-widths above 220, I decided to pull
> > over & see what was up.  Both fans were blowing well & in
> > the correct direction, but maybe the air coming out didn't
> > feel as hot as it should.  With the engine left running at
> > idle, the temperature quickly dropped down to a reasonable
> > 1/3rd scale.  Then on the rest of the way home, the
> > temperature stayed between 1/4 & 1/3 scale.  What is up with
> > that?  I have an auto-bleeder installed and have burped the
> > radiator more than once (and doing this while lying on my
> > back I now know why dogs love the taste of anti-freeze.  I
> > think Prestone tastes like Gator-Aid only better.  So wear
> > eye-protection & keep your mouth closed!)  The system is not
> > loosing coolant.
> >
> > For regular around town driving, the car is fine.  But on
> > long trips the temperature occasionally likes to keep
> > climbing.  I'm on my 2nd or 3rd thermostat, has a nice PJ
> > Grady waterpump, stainless coolant bottle, original
> > radiator.  Yeah, a few of those damn hoses are still
> > original, but who has the time to change them?  (Something
> > about the reprobate cobbler's son...)  So anyone have any
> > ideas on this overheating?  I've thought of dumping holy
> > water in there, but that might be disrespectful... ;-)
> >
> > Walt

click here