Re: [DMCForum] my intermittant overheat problem

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Walter Coe wrote:

> I now know why dogs love the taste of anti-freeze.

Took you this long to taste some?  I was always that kid who ate
everything he was told not to, so I think I found out how good antifreeze
tastes when I was about eight.  It's really good stuff.  I could drink it
by the cupfull if it wouldn't kill me.

Your overheating problem sounds somewhat similar to one I have and haven't
tracked down, only mine happens only with the AC on.  Like you, short
trips are fine for me, but if I go on a longer trip (and have the AC on),
sometimes I'll see that temperature gauge start rising.  If I turn off the
AC, the temperature comes right back down (and mine goes up) and then I
can usually turn the AC back on and the rest of my trip will be
uneventful.  It's pretty strange.  I, too, have burped the radiator a few
times just to be sure everything is circulating fine, and there's nothing
that I can find wrong with the system.

Because of this behavior, and because of my electrical system's general
droopiness, I picked up one of John Hervey's new fan kits (very nice
setup, John).  Who knows?  Maybe it'll help.  I could certainly use a few
fewer amps draw on the system anyway.

> I've thought of dumping holy water in there, but that might be
> disrespectful... ;-)

Agreed.  You should treat your car with more respect than that.

-andrew

click here