Re: [DMCForum] difference between fuel senders

Re: [DMCForum] difference between fuel senders

I'm staying several hundred messages behind, but this seems
like a nice complicated question to tackle...

DMCH makes a sender that works half-way decent, especially
considering the price.  It uses a string of magnetic reed
switches like JetSki, SeaDoo, Waverunner, etc.  I think the
biggest problem with the DMCH design is that they don't use
near enough switches.  This makes the output terribly jumpy
& incremental.  The gasket isn't very fuel resistant.  After
they swell up, it helps to trim them back down on a belt
sander or else the retainer ring won't screw over it.

So far I like the Zilla one the best, but it requires the
most modifications to make it work right.  Watch out for
swelling leaky gaskets.  Try plugging most of the holes with
epoxy to stop the gauge from fluctuating wildly.  Also watch
out for rust in these things.  It's best to cover the top
inside with epoxy when it is new to stop it from rotting
away too quickly.

The OEM senders can be made to work half-way reliably, but
it takes a lot of trial & error to stop the float from
binding yet still make good electrical contact.  If you have
more patience than money, this is the way to go.

Or maybe you can come up with a better design?  I think DMCH
was on the right track with the reed switches.  They just
need a couple more of them in there.

Walt

click here