Re: [DMCForum] Planar?

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Martin Gutkowski wrote:

> Sounds very similar to the Quad ESL's (electrostatic loudspeakers), of
> which I have one (my dad's old ESL57, and a Quad 2 if anyone want to
> buy....)

ESL is a similar design which also falls under the "planar" category.

I know less about ESLs, because I don't own any (they're rather more
expensive, but really sound great).  My basic understanding of ESL is that
a carbon coated sheet is suspended between two stators, and the incoming
audio signal is amplified to a few thousand volts and pushed opposite
directions through the stators, resulting in a similar vibration of the
suspended plane.

I don't think many people in the US know the Quad brand name.  I've never
heard a set myself, but I've heard nothing but gushing reviews of them.

-andrew

click here