[DMCForum] Re: New guy after some advice.

[DMCForum] Re: New guy after some advice.

Hi Dan,

DeLoreans often ascribe to the "rule of 20", meaning if you buy a
$10K car, you'll put $10k into it making it perfect for $20K.

Personally, given your experience with Lotus I think you could find a
fair-running car for $12k and clean it up fairly easily yourself. The
rule of 20 might not apply to you if you do the work yourself. I
bought a disaster of a car for $7k and I've only put $7k into it. I'm
not done, but most people would be up around $15 for what I've done
so far. It's the labor that kills.

How long have you been lurking here? You do know Martin Gutkowski of
DMCUK right? Parts can be had for sure, but depending on what it is,
you may have to order them from the U.S. Martin will be a great help
to you in locating parts and providing service.

Also, please register as a member on www.dmcforum.org and feel free
to participate in the 3 polls running right now on this newsgroup.
Just click polls on the left <-----.

Cheers,

Rich A.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "lotusshaney" <daniel.shane@xxxx>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My name is Dan and I have just joined the DMCForum.  I'm based in
the UK and I'm
> currently looking for a De Lorean to purchase and import back here
to England

> Now here comes the question.  Is it worth getting one that needs
some work or would I be
> better off just getting a fully restored one ???
>
> I have a budget of around $12000 and I have been looking around the
web for any that are
> for sale.  I'm I aiming to low ???  I dont mind millage or the
state of the inside as long as
> the chassis and body are ok.
>
> Now I dont mind hard work, I have been a Lotus nut for years and
have restored a few over
> the years so I know how frustrating there designs can be to work
on, but how hard is it to
> get things like body panels, trim etc ???
>
> Many thanks and I hope you dont mind me asking these types of basic
questions.

> Dan

click here