Re: [DMCForum] Passing Gas

No, that's not biodiesel. That's veg-oil. Bio diesel is one of the two
products you get from mixing veg oil with sodium methoxide - that is, a
solution of Methanol and sodium hydroxide. THAT makes your exhaust smell
of strawberries (or it did when I put some in my Xantia). No engine
conversion is necessary to run biodiesel.

Marc Levy wrote:

> Why not put a diesel in there, and make it run on
> bio-diesel?  Make a deal with the local McDonalds to
> collect the french fry oil, you filter it and burn
> it.... the exhaust smells like French Fries!
>
> The kit to convert the regular diesel to a run on
> vegetable oil is a few hundred dollars, but if you add
> in the cost of the engine conversion it can get
> expensive.
>
> Before you do any of it, consider the fact that a
> regular engine conversion at minimum will be let say,
> $5K.  Do you drive enough to see a $5K savings in a
> reasonable amount of time?
>
> My take on the new Hybrids is that most people wont
> realize any savings.  You can buy a regular gasoline
> econo-box you can get 30Mpg.  The hybrid is like
> 50Mpg.  However, add in the additional cost of the
> hybrid option and I would suspect it would take at
> least 2-3 years for the average person to realize a
> savings...  But in 2-3 years, you will need to replace
> that humungo bank of batteries.  More $$.
>
> If you can do a solution that does not require the
> mega-batteries, that may work.  Maybe power a
> generator with Diesel?  or a turbine engine?  The
> problem with that is your generator will have to be
> able to put out the maximum amperage you will ever
> need (under acceleration).
>
> BTW, if you do electric do you even need a
> transmission??  Electric motors have linear torque so
> why bother with a transmission?
>
> Best part of all, if you do come up with something
> cool the Oil company will buy it from you for a few
> million dollars of hush money.. they you wont care
> about gas prices!

click here