[DMCForum] Passing Gas

I'm going to pose a possible project. It may dumb, it may not but
here it is:

I love my car. I like it stock. I like it historically correct. That
said, gas prices are out of control. I've accepted that to enjoy my
car for 20 more years I may have to modify it.

As a submariner, I've seen what it takes to make a submarine
independent from the outside world. I have a decent grasp of many
kinds of systems, I have lots of ideas.

I have a few ideas for a hydrogen powered car but I don't think I can
carry them off. But what about a hybrid DeLorean?

Some of you guys are smart with numbers and devices so let me put the
following questions to you:

How large would an electric motor have to be to give a DeLorean an
equivelant of 150 hp @ stock torque values? I saw the one in
the "Tilly" photos. It looked small. I want it to mate to the stock
transmission.

How large would a bank of HIGH quality, long-lasting batteries have
to be to power the car and all it's loads for about 80 miles?

How many hp and how many volts/amps would a generator pack have to be
to charge the battery and supply the maximum electrical load during
operation of the car?

I'm thinking of a stacked approach: 1st layer is the electric
motor/tranny and perhaps the generator pack. Build a platform above
it to hold batteries. Keep the fuel tanks for the generator. Remove
the cooling system up front, and perhaps more batteries up front in
place of the cooling system.

Is it possible?

Rich A.

click here