[DMCForum] Update: DeLorean Valdez

My car is now up in the air at the diesel shop. Transmission is once
again hanging by its rods: sheet metal piece pop riveted to the clutch
fork that pivots on the bellhousing ball snapped on one side. Led to
some rough shifts because the fork no longer moves the release bearing
evenly. Also caused pressure plate fingers to rub the clutch disc hub
on one side (sounded terrible). I was king of the road for a short time...

Seems rediculous to pay $120 for a piece of sheet metal. I'll study
possibility of making my own before placing the order.

BTW: Since clutch started acting up I've been slam shifting every gear
except 1st and Reverse (was afraid a flywheel bolt had backed out and
was hitting the backside of the clutch disc. Didn't want to damage yet
another one). Anyone who tells you a Renault transmission can't be
slam shifted is full of business. 3rd's a little tricky, but 2nd and
4th are smooth as silk. Never left town so I haven't tried slamming
5th yet.

Popped the intake manifold off while I was at the shop. Cast recesses
on top of the block are full to the brim of oil. That's a LOT of oil.
There's no way this is the result of oil being slung -- it's coming
out under pressure. Most likely candidate I see now (after a shower
and studying factory literature at the house) is the plug closest to
the timing chain cover (not the one you use to establish TDC). What in
the world is that plug for anyway? Is it some sort of cleanout?
Literature does not address it at all.

Oil does not drain from other recesses back into the block, so I
assume they do not have holes in them after all.

Of course the recess that contains the mystery plug has no lip on the
timing chain cover side, so it IS drained. Those are the rivers of oil
I observed pouring out by the water pump. Having now mapped out the
oil galleys I'll go back to the shop and see if I can't find the
damage. Must be significant if it allowed water to run in by gravity
alone.

Fellow who manages the diesel shop (is separate company from the
railroad now) is not optimistic I can pull off a carbureted PRV in
time for Pigeon Forge. He's advocating repair of my Z7V. Only real
stumbling block I see for the Volvo block is designing a carb mounting
plate (manifold is designed for a bizarre 45 degree adapter elbow).
We'll see...

Neither block's going to do me any good until I get a working clutch
fork anyway.

Bill Robertson

click here