[DMCForum] Re: B28E/F how to tell them apart?

[DMCForum] Re: B28E/F how to tell them apart?

Thank you Bill (and John) for input.

I forgot to mention that the engine swap was done in Norway,
so the engine is probably from a Volvo since they are most
easy to get here, the dealer claimed that the engine was
brand new.

My catalyst is also missing, I do have an ECU though, I'll
probably remove all the DMC stuff from the fuel delivery system
and replace them with B28E parts.
I'll investigate some more first though, and I must find me
a wreck to get parts from, wich european cars used the E version?

--
wilhelm

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>
wrote:
> Actually John DeLorean used a bastardized F series engine:
> - Advanced base ignition time (with correspondingly lighter
> counterweight?)
> - No smog pump, which I maintain pushes the catalytic converter to
the
> edge of its operating parameters
> - No EGR (that's what the capped off port in the U pipes is for)
> - Relocated alternator
> - Shallower oil pan
>
> Differences between E and F series engines (circa 1981):
> - Higher compression (9.5:1), achieved through taller pistons
> - No Lambda Sond
> - No EGR (except Sweden & Australia)
> - No charcoal canister (except Sweden & Australia)
> - Much richer fuel mixture (2% CO2)
> - Series 038 CPR versus Series 066 -- closes much more slowly (~160
> degrees) and exerts slightly less counter pressure. Vacuum
enrichment
> is *MUCH* simpler
> Heads are the same between E and F series: Same deck height, same
size
> valves, same cam lift and valve lash.
>
> You may have one of the Renault imports (Z7V) that apparently were
> being marketed out of Ohio in the late 80's. Differences from Volvo
> series:
> - Aluminum fuel distributor with external balancing screws (don't
mess
> with them)
> - Metal injector and CPR fuel lines
> - Dampener between the CPR and the fuel distributor
> - PCV through the U pipes rather than the cold start tube
> Z7V uses a one piece upper air assembly. Many more vacuum nipples &
> ports than Volvo, most of them capped off. CO2 screw access port is
> threaded and plugged with a washer base machine screw. No place to
> attach an idle microswitch. Throttle plates are solid (no
deceleration
> valves)
>
> Engine ID plates wandered around the PRV. You should find yours
either:
> - Next to the driver motor mount
> - Next to the oil filter
> - On the 4-6 cylinder head, facing the passenger compartment
> I don't have any means of translating it anyway. Perhaps Martin's
> friend Darren Bowker does.
>
> Bill Robertson

click here