Re: [DMCForum] Power window trim... the fuzzy caterpillar

Re: [DMCForum] Power window trim... the fuzzy caterpillar

Okay... I'm only 228 messages behind now...

The ones I bought from PJ Grady (I think he got them from
DMCH) were too short.  Well, I should say that they were
only as long as the roll-down window and didn't cover the
entire length like the original did.  Also, the new ones
were falling apart for the same reason as the originals --
crummy glue.  I tried Liquid-nails, and that didn't last
long.  Next I tried 3M Super Weather-Strip Adhesive, and
that worked fine except the glue is bright yellow, and the
fuzz was already kinda damaged from having the window glass
scrape it.  So I bought a long piece of 2" wide Velcro
(using only fuzzy side) and glued that over all of it.
Works nice.  I used more Velcro to pad the moving glass
against the inner stainless.  The cars originally had
peel & stick Velcro here.  Since I'm now unwilling to trust
peel & stick adhesive on Velcro, I glued on the sew-on
variety.  They sell a version of Velcro that is made to be
glued, but it only has a tougher backing that doesn't wrap
around corners as well.  The sew-on variety takes the 3M
weather strip glue fine without soaking through.  I would do
it this way again.

I also made new window regulator brackets to stop the glass
from scraping the fuzz.  I love to show it off.  I can roll
my windows up & down while the doors are open, and they stay
perfectly on track.

Walt

click here