Re: [DMCForum] Re: Fuel system updates - help!! long long long...

Re: [DMCForum] Re: Fuel system updates - help!! long long long...

The cover DMCH sells gets my vote, though I haven't seen one of Don's I
would guess they may be the same. Much thicker and with a lip around the
lower edge, they clump into place beautifully

As far as SpecialT's baffle goes, I *personally* wouldn't touch it.
There's a reason the original is set up like it is. The baffle is meant
to be in the middle of the tank, and is meant to be sealed at the base
with only a small hole or two (early cars are missing the baffle base in
the original setup). One of my good friends tried SpecialT's baffle and
it didn't work as well as a properly set up original system. Basically
the original setup is a good concept, executed badly You need to make
sure the hose doesn't collapse, the baffle must be held down flat to the
floor, the pickup filter can become clogged, and the stud is prone to
breaking.

In my experience, nothing rots a fuel pump boot faster than letting fuel
go stagnant in the tank. Oh, and I've seen the results of letting a fuel
filter go funny- metering head and injectors, and cpr all get gummed up
beautifully. Like the otterstat, it's worth changing as what happens
when it goes wrong is an order of magnitude more costly!

Martin

>>Fuel pump boots only last about 5 to 7 years of normal use.
>>No one makes a boot that is worth a shit.  Of all that I've
>>seen, I like Don Steger's boot & cover the best.  The boot
>>cover that PJ Grady sells looks exactly like OEM, but it
>>shrinks & turns rock hard in the presence of fuel vapors.
>>
>>Walt

click here