[DMCForum] Art/science.....

  Yeah, Mig is easy. Anyone can learn to Mig right outta the box but
GTAW is a lot tougher. If you can already gas weld you're halfway
there. Tig is better for precision work but it sure is slow.

Technique is good but don't underestimate the science, there is a lot
to it. For example, in welding understanding some plasma physics
helps, after all that's what the arc really is. "Sparks" are pretty
copmlicated and knowing about plasma explains many other things, like
why your car's spark plug gaps grow wider over time.

Someone good at their stuff will learn the science part of anything
as much as they can. I'm surprised at how many old time weldors don't
know it but they compensate for it by experience. In the end it's
both study and someome knowledgable showing you technique that make
you good at anything. I learned GTAW on my own and like you went
through a lot of rod and gas before I became really proficient. But I
also studied hard, in my opinion a knowledge of the science behind
something is crucial.