Re: [DMCForum] Ladies and gentlemen, my (repairable?) evaporator

Re: [DMCForum] Ladies and gentlemen, my (repairable?) evaporator

> My guess is that it was rusted and
prior AC work twisted the piece and age caused it to
eventually break.

I don't see how age could be a factor with an aluminum pipe
unless it's corrosion.  I don't think aluminum naturally
gets weaker with age.

> The screen that was on mine was stapled in place? Did you
find this to be
the case with yours?

Yes.  But the staples were only holding layers of screen
together and not to any other part of the car.  I could see
the screen doing some good if it were on the input side of
the evaporator, but not on the output.  When I put the car
back together, I used a single layer of this screen between
the a/c housing and the dash (for the air intake).  I
figured that maybe it would keep some leaves out of there.

> Finally: where can I score some of the foam that goes on
the flaps?

The foam I used I bought at Home Depot.  I used the
automotive/marine grade which is closed cell.  The widest I
could find it was 3/4", so I only used strips around the
perimeter where it is matters.  The OEM way of doing it was
to cover the whole door with a sheet of it and hold it on
with staples(?!)  I don't remember what thickness I used.
It was either 1/4" or 3/8".

Technogeek Ken since gave me a sheet of 3M peal & stick foam
from a military surplus store in Orlando.  This looks ideal;
although, the Home Depot stuff may be easier for you to get
your hands on.

Walt

click here