Re: [DMCForum] Re: Headlight switch

Hi Rich

I was suggesting the contacts at the base of the relay where they go
into the socket may get dirty. That said, they aren't hermetically
sealed relays (where they're filled with an inert gas) so the contacts
inside do get dirty over time due to sparking. There's a reason why all
the vendors sell a relay update kit - the main purpose of which is to
replace the original Lucas relays with Bosch ones. We don't sell a kit
as such but when asked for them we use cheaper generic ones, because
even though they're not as expensive as Bosch, they're 23 years
"younger" and still streets ahead of the lucas design. I recently
accidentally discovered a source of lambda relays, in generic form, for
a tenth of the cost of one from Bosch.

"crud" in a press-fit electrical contact acts like a resistor - and it's
the resistor that gets hot because it's dumping current to heat. A small
contact area in a switch will have a low resistance which will become
apparent when you try to pass current through it, but the current
required by a relay is very low.

Martin