Re: [DMCForum] Accumulator located

Travis, price doesn't always indicate quality.  In this
case, the shipping weight of one is considerably more than
the other, but that may not be related to the amount of
desiccant they contain.  I've autopsied a few and found that
some have more than twice the desiccant as others.

I've bought a few of the Visteon brand at Superparts
(locally) for $38.  Their part number is 500036.  The
Factory Air number you have isn't always good for a
cross-reference.  An alternate number that seems to be
easier to find is  30191.

For early VINs, I highly recommend replacing the hoses
before using the early accumulator with the pipe on the
bottom.  It's a lot better to convert it to use the later
VIN accumulator.  Otherwise you could end up kinking the
pipe (or evaporator line) getting it to fit.

You might find that crowfoot wrenches are very useful for
reaching the fittings.  In some cases it's nice to have two
people -- one in the trunk and one under the wheel well.
The last thing you want to do is stress the evaporator
lines.

I do not recommend buying accumulators via mail order.  The
chances are too great of taking delivery of a part that has
been tampered with.  A properly packaged new accumulator
should be in a sealed plastic bag with caps/plugs sealing
all the fittings.  I don't know if it's a wives tale or not,
but I hear that it is best to pull a vacuum on those within
15 to 20 minutes of opening them to atmospheric air.  Even
if that isn't true, it should go without saying that if one
has been opened before you bought it then it is trash.

Walt