Re: [DMCForum] My own fuel problems

> I have floaters in the tank, there was gunk in the new
filter and the pickup screen is dirty.

Rich, after I thoroughly cleaned out the tank on my daily
driver, I peek in there occasionally and watch more crud
accumulate.  I think much of it must gets pumped into the
tank at filling stations.  New Bosch fuel pumps come wrapped
in a thin clear piece of tape.  If you didn't remove this
then the fuel would dissolve it where it would end up as goo
clogging your suction screen.

> the CPR is clogged a little too.

There is a tiny screen on the input side.  You can see it in
the bottom of the hole when you remove the banjo bolt.
Check to see that it isn't clogged with particulates.  I
have heard of people opening up CPR's & fuel distributors
and getting them back together without leaks.  -Haven't
tried it myself.

> I appear to have a little more power when the engine is
cold

Since you like to tinker, here's a fun test for you to try:
Hook a hand vacuum pump to your CPR and try driving with
different amounts of vacuum applied.  I suggest using a long
hose running into the passenger compartment so you can
operate the pump there.  Use a pump with a gauge so you can
keep track of what you are doing to the system.  See how
changes in vacuum affect how the car runs hot & cold.  It
only takes a few seconds for the car to get warm enough to
switch off vacuum to the CPR anyway.  After that, any vacuum
applied should make the car run richer.

I left a plastic pump in the engine compartment, and the
heat melted it.  The car started & warmed up much better
with vacuum applied to the CPR, but the car didn't need this
when warmed up.  My problem turned out to be a
non-functioning lambda system, but I had to first learn all
about the CPR before I figured this out.

Walt