[DMCForum] Re: The Village Idiot Returns (Travis G)

[DMCForum] Re: The Village Idiot Returns (Travis G)

eBay. Same place my DeLo itself came from. Have purchased all sorts
of interesting PRV goodies there. Louie G is currently running my old
CPR (series 038) because I picked up a brand new one for $75. Picked
up a brand new water pump (Italian) for $10 -- careful with the water
pumps because there are two varieties, with the big takeoff on
different sides. All my Volvo literature is eBay. Bought a Renault
fuel injection manual too, interesting because neither acronym "CI"
nor "CIS" is used anywhere therein. Save your money -- Volvo
literature is MUCH better.

You could throw a rock from Spartanburg and hit Norman's shop.
How 'bout checking it out for us. As he was buying his engine also
picked up a Peugot brand engine gasket set and two more alternators,
$20 each. I'm happy to get just what I did. All I need now is an
engineless vehicle to drop it into.

BTW: my little brother timed me removing the intake manifold,
carburetor still attached. 1:25 minutes. With a little practice could
probably get it down to one minute even. Of course nothing needs to
be removed to replace distributor cap, rotor, and wires. Hose clamps
on back of the water pump are also accessible with the manifold in
place. I definitely need to get this engine into a DeLo eventually.

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin@xxxx>
wrote:
> I wanna know how you scored a crate engine for $500!

Rebuilder/Mechanic in
> > Columbia SC
> >
> > ATTN: Travis G, Louie G (and his new friend), and any other
Carolinian
> > owners:
> >
> > Picked up my new in the crate B27 or B28 (still don't know which -
- no
> > ID tags) A series engine at the same time a German immigrant PRV
> > rebuilder/mechanic from Columbia SC was picking up the other one
(what
> > a coincidence, eh? I live less than 2 hours from Columbia. Am
> > currently in DC where the engines were). Spoke with him for an
hour or
> > so. This guy knows the block, no BS. If/when the time comes for
work
> > below valve cover level, I could do worse than to take #5939 to
him.
> > He also imports Renault PRV products such as triple seal intake
> > manifold O rings, metal head gaskets, etc. Contact info:
> >
> > Norman Preser
> > International Car Restoration
> > 754 Kirkland Circle
> > Elgin, SC 29045
> > (803) 438-6626 (voice)
> > (803) 438-6642 (fax)
> >
> > Norman is *EXTREMELY* partial to Renault. Totally dismisses Volvo.
> > Apparently on the PRV there are subtle differences in everything
north
> > of the connecting rods (BTW: Norman claims European series
connecting
> > rods are slightly longer than North American series). Even the
pistons
> > are different. He was slightly bummed to be getting a Volvo
block. I
> > am  thrilled to death ($500 for a brand new engine with all
> > accessories, ready to drop into a car).
> >
> > Took 35mm pics. Will have them scanned them when I get home &
upload.

> > BTW: In Germany the Renault Alpine is pronounced "Alpeen". 300hp
> > version is triple deuce carbureted, not fuel injected. Uses mere
12
> > valve heads. Is 10.5:1 compression. Norman claims rocks & rolls
LESS