[DMCForum] The Village Idiot Returns: PRV Rebuilder/Mechanic in Columbia

[DMCForum] The Village Idiot Returns: PRV Rebuilder/Mechanic in Columbia SC

ATTN: Travis G, Louie G (and his new friend), and any other Carolinian
owners:

Picked up my new in the crate B27 or B28 (still don't know which -- no
ID tags) A series engine at the same time a German immigrant PRV
rebuilder/mechanic from Columbia SC was picking up the other one (what
a coincidence, eh? I live less than 2 hours from Columbia. Am
currently in DC where the engines were). Spoke with him for an hour or
so. This guy knows the block, no BS. If/when the time comes for work
below valve cover level, I could do worse than to take #5939 to him.
He also imports Renault PRV products such as triple seal intake
manifold O rings, metal head gaskets, etc. Contact info:

Norman Preser
International Car Restoration
754 Kirkland Circle
Elgin, SC 29045
(803) 438-6626 (voice)
(803) 438-6642 (fax)

Norman is *EXTREMELY* partial to Renault. Totally dismisses Volvo.
Apparently on the PRV there are subtle differences in everything north
of the connecting rods (BTW: Norman claims European series connecting
rods are slightly longer than North American series). Even the pistons
are different. He was slightly bummed to be getting a Volvo block. I
am  thrilled to death ($500 for a brand new engine with all
accessories, ready to drop into a car).

Took 35mm pics. Will have them scanned them when I get home & upload.

BTW: In Germany the Renault Alpine is pronounced "Alpeen". 300hp
version is triple deuce carbureted, not fuel injected. Uses mere 12
valve heads. Is 10.5:1 compression. Norman claims rocks & rolls LESS
than F series Volvo. He currently owns an Alpine but is the more
pedestrian double carburetor (1 two barrel and 1 single barrel).
Doesn't care too much for the Volvo A series intake manifold (single
barrel), so if anyone wants to jetison their K-Jetronic he'll probably
sell the one he just picked up cheap. Plug the injector ports with
some 3/8" bolts, bolt up a single barrel Weber (A series ap), replace
everything back to the tank with low pressure hose and pump (Norman
claims that's what the access hole by cylinder 1 valve cover in my
other Volvo engine is for -- I'm willing to sell it as soon as I get a
junkyard replacement to keep weather out), and you're in business 100%
trouble free.

Bill Robertson