RE: [DMCForum] glowing cats, revving, etc.

RE: [DMCForum] glowing cats, revving, etc.

Don't ever assume something on the DeLorean can't be broken because of mileage. Bill Robertson's cat plugged up at about 14k miles, and his clutch has gone out now that his car has maybe 19k on it. Remember low mileage on a 20+ year old car isn't always going to be a good thing. With that kind of mileage on that old of a car means it's been sitting, and things have been allowed to rot and corrode for long periods of time. You'll be working out kinks for years to come in it because everything is a domino effect. You'll fix one thing, and that will exacerbate the wear in the next link in the chain.

Though your problem sounds like a plugged cat, how do your vacuum lines look? Check for rotting, splitting, and pliability, especially at junctions. You'd be amazed at what even a small vacuum leak will do to the PRV. If you need instructions on removing at gutting your cat, contact Bill Robertson at brobertson(AT)carolina.net he can give you any info you'll need. Good luck and keep us informed. -Louie

  Hi everyone. First thing I want to say is, I love this forum. It has
  been very helpful.
  Now on to my ongoing problem. When I rev the engine in my 83' it
  wants to "Bog" down like its running out of fuel. If I hold the
  throttle wide open, it will not rev much past 1500rpm. If I do this
  to long, the exhaust pipe just after the converter gets red hot. This
  leads me to think the engine is running lean per lack of fuel. The
  car only has 19K, so I'm not thinking its a clogged converter. The
  car starts and idles great. Heres a list of what I have done so far
  and none of these items changed the problem.

  -Fuel accumulator- replaced
  -Fuel pump and new design P/U from Special T Auto- replaced
  -Inside of fuel tank cleaned and wiped out
  -Spark plugs and wires (8 mm)- replaced
  -Distributor cap and rotor cleaned and reused
  -Coil- replaced
  -Timing checked-OK
  -Unplugged o2 sensor and started engine- no change
  -Fuel distributor removed with air plate- cleaned plunger that goes
  through the center of fuel distributor
  -Unplugged warm up regulator will engine was running- no change

  It has been frustrating trying to find this problem. Any help with
  this problem will be greatly appreciated.
  Thanks
  Ryan