[DMCForum] steering geometry. was Re: Speak slowly, use small words (On

[DMCForum] steering geometry. was Re: Speak slowly, use small words (On Topic)

Very cool Rick. Thanks!

I did have extensive welding done up front due to rust.
The crumple tube bottom was toast.

Part of the frame, specifically, the "Y" uh, the part that the
crumple tube mounts to, the part that closes off the Y was rusted
away in the center. Not completely, but it wasn't good. Am I making
sense?

The welder replaced the metal in the center with cast iron, square
tubing from an old automobile frame he had. He said this was
necessary to keep the lower control arms from shifting. Because the
metal wasn't completely gone, I believe that nothing had shifted yet
and his repair is good.

If the camber is negative, it's not so bad that I can tell just by
looking at the wheels. I'd have to use the roofing square. It took
months of driving for the tire wear to manifest.

Jeeze I wish those tie-rod ends would get here so I can get aligned.
They're in the mail.

Rich

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "twinenginedmc12"
<twinenginedmc12@xxxx> wrote:
> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> > Someone please explain DeLorean steering geometry to me. I am
> > familiar with some terms: Toe, caster and camber.
> >
> > Due to the wear on the inner edges of my tires, I suspect they
are
> > pointed like this:   //  \\  (If you're looking at the car head-
on)

> > Instead of: ||   ||  (Ditto)
> >
> > Which of the above 3 is responsible for this, and is it
adjustable